LANL Foundation is a small, regional nonprofit grounded in the communities of Northern New Mexico, with a focus on education and life-long learning through innovative programming, collaboration, and advocacy. Employment opportunities are posted here as they become available.
Scholarship Program Manager
This position is now closed
Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Scholarship
The Scholarship Program Manager is a full-time, exempt position at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Foundation office located in Española, working with and for the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Scholarship to administer the Los Alamos Employees’ Scholarship Fund (LAESF) Program to students across seven counties of Northern New Mexico. The Program Manager manages the tripartite relationship among the LANL Foundation, the 25-person volunteer LAESF Advisory Committee, and the Los Alamos National Laboratory, Community Partnerships Office (CPO). The Program Manager is responsible for all aspects of the Scholarship program including outreach, selections, awards, scholar management, operations, and fund development, and is involved with ongoing program assessment and process improvement.
- Responsible for achieving the Scholarship program goals of the Strategic Plan, adopted by the LANL Foundation board of directors, and as approved by the VP of Institutional Advancement and Scholarship.
- Provides staff leadership and logistical support for the all-volunteer LAESF Advisory Committee that reports to the LANL Foundation Board of Directors, with sub-committees responsible for outreach, selections, fundraising campaign, Nontraditional and Trade School Scholarships, and others that may be created by the primary Advisory Committee.
- Works with the Advisory Committee to:
- Maintains the annual calendar of scholarship-related meetings, events, and activities.
- Coordinates and attend meetings of LAESF Advisory Committee and sub-committees.
- Works with the LAESF Fundraising Committee chair and LANL CPO to co-plan and coordinate the annual LAESF fundraising campaign at the Laboratory, targeted at obtaining scholarship donation pledges from LANL employees, contractors, and retirees.
- Presents and represents the goals, objectives, and interests of the LANLF Board and staff to the LAESF Advisory Committee and LANL CPO.
- Presents LAESF Advisory Committee recommendations to the VP for Institutional Advancement for periodic updates and if necessary, approval.
- Manages members of the LAESF Advisory Committee throughout the year in scholarship fund development, outreach, selections, awards, and program assessment.
- Takes a lead role in the strategic planning and operations of the Northern New Mexico Tribal Business Scholarship including, but not limited to: refining the application and process; conducting the selections, awards and notifications; establishing deadlines; coordinating outreach and fundraising activities along with all other duties to insure the success of the scholarship.
- Presents scholarship changes, status updates and budget proposals to the Foundation Board of Directors as required.
- Travels to regional schools to present LAESF program information to eligible students and participate in graduation and awards night events.
- Coordinates with LANL CPO, the office that serves as the primary contact for communication with Laboratory management and employees.
- Works with LANL Foundation Communications Director to design and implement year-round press plan, website updates, email blasts, online surveys, presentations, brochures, and other collateral.
- Manages online scholarship application portal for all four annual funding cycles.
- Plans, coordinates, and conducts the annual scholarship awards banquet.
- Researches and recommends ways to upgrade and improve current processes with innovative technology for a more robust and efficient program.
- Represents the LANL Foundation and LAESF to external organizations related to scholarship activities, including fundraising.
- Works with the VP of Institutional Advancement and Scholarships managing the Foundation’s donor management database as it applies to scholarship activities.
- Works with the VP of Institutional Advancement and Scholarships to cultivate and develop an ongoing relationship with donors.
- Oversees the creation of new scholarships implementing donor intent, consistent with the mission and vision of the LANL Foundation and the will of the Board.
- Oversees the LAESF Alumni program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field
- 3–5 years program management experience
- 1–2 years of experience working with college students in the area of scholarship or admissions
- Experience managing volunteers
- Ability to make sound decisions under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work on teams with a diverse group of people
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proficient with MS Office suite
- Comfortable managing a large volume of email
- Comfortable public speaking before a wide variety of audiences both big and small
- Experience operating complex programs including responsibility for budgeting and cost management
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required
- Must possess a valid and unrestricted NM driver’s license
- Sense of humor
Desired but Not Required:
- Master’s degree in appropriate field
- Experience as a direct supervisor managing staff and direct reports
- Demonstrated experience hosting large receptions or events
- Experience improving program efficiency through automation and/or process improvement
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficiency in website management using Drupal or other content management system
- Experience managing information on a business web site
- Experience working with commercial customer relationship management software such as Salsa CRM, Sugar CRM, Salesforce, Razors Edge NXT, etc.
Salary range is $65,000 to $80,000 commensurate with education and experience and includes an excellent benefits package. LANL Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Start date: January 7, 2019
For more information about the LANL Foundation and its programs that strengthen education in Northern New Mexico, visit lanlfoundation.org.
Click here for more information about the LANL Foundation's scholarship program.